German Federal Railroad (DB) class E 10 electric locomotive in an Era III version. The most important goal for the German Federal Railroad after the founding of this new firm was to renew the worn out motive power roster. An essential objective was to replace economically expensive steam motive power with diesel and electric locomotives. For that reason the German Federal Railroad's committee responsible for motive power decided in 1950 on a standardization program that comprised 4 different types with essentially the same components. After intensive testing with 5 pre-production class E 10.0 locomotives, the class E 10.1 to E 10.3 was selected for express train service. A total of 379 units were to be delivered to the German Federal Railroad and were built starting in 1956 in several production runs by the firms Krauss-Maffei, Krupp, Henschel-Werke (mechanical part) as well as SSW (Siemens-Schuckert-Werke), AEG, and BBC (electrical part). A welded box-style body with simple, later double lamps, and vent grills rested on welded trucks of box-style construction with truck center pins. Starting with road number E 10 288, the elegant “pant's crease” locomotive body of the E 10.12 was also used with the standard E 10, which was then designated as the class E 10.3. The locomotives were equipped with indirect working Knorr design air brakes; for switching they were equipped with direct working auxiliary brakes and also with electric resistance brakes coupled to the air brakes. The E 10 was also equipped with the rubber ring spring propulsion proven on the pre-production locomotives and four 14-pole traction motors, which were used on later locomotive classes such as the class 111 and class 151. These locomotives weighed 85 metric tons, measured 16,490 mm / 54 feet 1-3/16" in length, had a maximum speed of 140 km/h / 87 mph, and had a continuous performance rating of 3,700 kilowatts / 4,961.78 horsepower. Over the course of many years of use the external appearance of the locomotives changed due to numerous rebuilding and modernization programs as well as because of new paint schemes, the designation of the class (from 1968 on as the class 110), and the area of use. In the first years the E 10 was the backbone of the express train service until faster, more powerful locomotives supplanted them. Currently, the majority of the remaining units are used in regional service.
The LGB model is completely new tooling. It has a DCC connector. Additional center buffer beams are included. Two powerful motors drive both trucks. The locomotive has inset windows and traction tires. The headlights change over with the direction of travel. Length over the buffers approximately 60 cm / 23-5/8".