DB Class E 10.12 Electric Locomotive as Rheingold Interim Locomotive
In 1960, the DB decided to update the "Rheingold" and its corresponding "Rheinpfeil" with an exclusive and highly comfortable pool of cars. A brand new "Rheingold" was running between Amsterdam and Basle at the start of the summer schedule on May 27, 1962. Due to the progress in electrification in the German area, the train could run from Basle to Duisburg with electric locomotives. The DB had decided on a modified version of the already proven E 10 with a new streamlined body ("Bügelfalten" / "Pants Crease" E 10). Since the first of these units would not be available until the fall of 1962, the DB managed with six units of the standard design with its boxy body. As with all standard design locomotives, these locomotives had a bridge frame and box framework of steel shapes of welded construction on which the sheet metal sheathing was welded. The sheathing formed a self-supporting unit with its bridge-style beams and roof design. The four traction motors produced 3,620 kilowatts / 4,852 horsepower and the SSW rubber ring spring drive served as the propulsion system. Only their gearboxes were modified for a maximum speed of 160 km/h / 100 mph and they were then designated as the subclass E 10.12. With a paint scheme adapted to the two-color "Rheingold" scheme in cobalt blue / beige, road numbers E 10 1239-1244 took a special place in the DB motive power pool. Yet these lasted only a short time because with delivery of the final Rheingold locomotives between September 1962 and February 1963 the interim units were converted back to regular locomotives with the road numbers E 10 239-244. Since the "Rheinpfeil" was running with new "Rheingold" cars starting with the summer schedule of 1963, there were once again five units painted cobalt blue / beige and modified for 160 km/h / 100 mph with road numbers E 10 250 to 254 stationed in Nürnberg. Between September 1963 and January 1964, these units were also converted back to the regular version.
Over the years, the box-style former Rheingold locomotives (starting in 1968 the class 110) also had to undergo countless conversions and paint variations. To mention a couple, there was the conversion of the vents and the removal of the roof gutters. Road number 110 250 was even converted in November of 1994 to 139 250 (retired on September 22, 2010). The units were taken out of service between 2000 and 2011, the last one being road number 110 243 on May 30, 2011. Road number 110 239 was already retired on July 5, 2006 and was taken over shortly thereafter by the Wuppertal "Locomotive Club 103" with the goal of restoring it to its condition when delivered as a Rheingold locomotive. Finally, the extensive restoration work was completed in the summer of 2008 and with a new cobalt blue / beige paint scheme done by the Dessau maintenance facility this locomotive has since been operational as road number E 10 1239 for special runs.