At the end of the Fifties, most of the ÖBB narrow gauge railroads with a gauge of 760 mm / 30" were operated for the most part with steam locomotives of considerable age. The ÖBB decided to purchase comparable diesel locomotives to make operation on these routes more efficient. In the years 1958 to 1962, 15 units of the class 2095 were thus delivered by Simmering-Graz-Pauker. These four-axle locomotives weighed 31 metric tons and were 10.40 meters / 33 feet 10 inches in length. They produced 600 horsepower and a maximum speed of 60 km/h / 37 mph, which resulted in a considerable acceleration in train operations. The side rod drive in the trucks is typical for these small but compact locomotives – this was necessary since only one wheelset could be powered directly from the gearbox. In addition, the division of the locomotive body on the first 3 locomotives – the prototypes – was different from the production units, since the former were still equipped with a steam heating boiler, which was not installed in the production units. Even now after 65 years, these locomotives are still in operation, mostly on the Pinzgau Railroad but also on other narrow-gauge railroads in Austria.