60 Years of New Construction Locomotives in the Harz The lack of motive power on the meter gauge lines in the Harz was already obvious shortly after the DR's takeover of the NWE. In 1950, an order was therefore placed with LKM Babelsberg for the building of a new 2-10-2 narrow gauge locomotive for these lines. This unit borrowed heavily from the standard design locomotives 99 221 - 223 that had been built in 1930 by Schwartzkopff. In January of 1955, the first new construction locomotive was delivered in Wernigerode and placed into service. After serious problems with the running gear appeared at the start of its service, several changes had to be carried out to correct these early malfunctions. Then, these locomotives turned in good results. Experiments were made over time with oil firing, and the locomotives were equipped with compressed air brakes in place of the vacuum brakes originally installed. From 1992 on these locomotives ran on the Brocken line again after it was opened again after the reunification of West and East Germany. In 1993, the lines in the Harz were taken over by the HSB, and the locomotives are once again the backbone of the operations, which after 50 years is good proof of their quality.