The familiar two-axle freight cars for narrow gauge railways were built in volume starting in the 1880s – they were in different versions, as boxcars and as gondolas. Towards the end of the 19th century the plans were altered. Among other things, the wheelbase was shortened from 3,800 mm / 150" to 3,000 mm / 118", which favored running characteristics on sharp curves. The 6½ meter / 256 inch long and just 3 metric ton cars enabled a load of around 5 metric tons, which was the level of technology for the time. Yet a short time later came the first four-axle freight cars, so that the old two-axle units very quickly went to lower level work or were retired. However, a few were preserved, including the boxcar, car number 1855 K, which is again in the gray paint scheme of the early 20th century, or the gondola, car number 4122, in the brown paint scheme starting in 1909. Both cars presently exist immaculately restored in Radebeul.
|Gauge / Design type||G /|