Although a quite powerful locomotive for operation on the Saxon narrow gauge lines in the Erzgebirge Region was available with the VI K with its five coupled driving wheelsets, there continued to be a demand for an even more powerful design. The German State Railroad management in Dresden thus managed to purchase a standard design locomotive for 750 mm / 30 inch gauge. Thirty-two locomotives of the DRG class 99.73 – 76 were thus delivered between 1928 and 1933. They were soon designated colloquially as "Saxon VII K" even if this designation was incorrect, since the units were purchased by the DRG, not the Saxon State Railways. These 600 horsepower, 57 metric ton, and 30 km/h / 19 mph fast locomotives fulfilled all expectations and were used on many narrow gauge lines in Saxony. Another 26 locomotives in a somewhat more modern version were ordered by the DR between 1952 and 1956. Several of these locomotives are still currently in use on museum railroads in Saxony, including the Zittau Narrow Gauge Railroad, where the prototype of the LGB model, road number 99 731, is based.
|Gauge / Design type||G /|