LGB 42636 – ÖBB Type GGm-s Freight Car
In 1942/43, the German State Railroad (DRG) had around 125 standard design, four-axle freight cars built for its 760 mm / 30 inch lines in the East March (Austria as absorbed by Germany in the Thirties) by Waggonfabrik Busch in Bautzen. They were planned as replacements for countless old freight car types. They were designed for 20 metric tons load weight and the frame and bodies had to be built very solidly. They had modern pressed frame trucks and a roofed over brakeman's platform where the handbrake was placed. Boxcars (GGw/s) as well as high side gondolas (OOw/s) were built. Two sliding doors on both car sides gave access to the boxcars. These doors were hung on a slide track below the roof. The cars were used on all of Austria's narrow gauge lines, chiefly on the Mariazeller Railroad and the Ybbs Valley Railroad, but also on the narrow gauge lines in the Waldviertel area and on the Steyr Valley Railroad. The latter two ran their freight service right up to the end with these boxcars, which were then running on the ÖBB as the type GGm-s. Even the museum operation on the remaining part of the Steyr Valley Railroad still has these boxcars on its roster and uses them occasionally.
After all the Steyr Valley Railroad was a Mecca for railroad fans up to the halting of operations on its remaining part. It offered only steam operations and freight trains still ran exclusively with narrow gauge locomotives and cars because the permissible axle loads did not allow roller block or roller car operations. The Steyr Valley Railroad, Inc. was founded in 1888 for the construction of a narrow gauge line through the Steyr Valley from Garsten (near Steyr) via Grünburg to Klaus. The line Garsten – Grünburg was festively opened as early as August 19, 1889 and the extension in the direction of Klaus to Agonitz followed on November 18, 1890. Construction continued with the building of a branch line from Pergern to Bad Hall with the opening taking place on December 1, 1891. Finally, the Steyr Valley Railroad – in the local dialect soon known as "Schnackerlbahn" / "Hiccup Railway" or "Schnackerl-Stessn" / "Hiccup" – reached its greatest length of 55 kilometers / 34 miles with the opening of operations on the last part of the line to Klaus on October 26, 1909. The competition from new bus lines led as early as 1933 to the abandonment of the partial line Sierning – Bad Hall. After World War II, reinforcement of the light roadbed remained undone so that the line had to continue operations exclusively with (cost intensive) steam locomotives. The end of this railroad thus remained just a question of time and operations were halted in little slices: Pergern – Sierning (January 1, 1967), Grünburg – Molln – Klaus (March 29, 1980) and Garsten – Grünburg (March 1, 1982). At least after long negotiations, the Austrian Society for Railroad History (ÖGEG) succeeded in acquiring the line from the local station in Steyr to Grünburg and since 1985, it has been operating steam trains as a museum railroad.